Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Phone vs. Toilet...

I referenced in my previous post how I lost my SmartPhone, the story follows. Don't read this if you have a weak stomach, it's titled phone vs. toilet for a reason, what you see is what you get, this isn't a pleasant read, but a valuable lesson in life...
*************************************************************************
Disclaimer: READ ABOVE BEFORE READING ANY MORE OF THIS DISGUSTING POST...
*************************************************************************
From an email to select recipients dated 12/23/2008:

I could not believe what had just happened.
One second I was checking email and in a split second the phone tilted just enough to fall from my hands, between my legs and into a bath of ____.
All I heard was a "swloosh" of the phone entering the bowl and a chuckle from the squatter next door...
Because of the squatter next door, I couldn't scream the profanity I wanted to. Furthermore, the guy next door must have been taking a marathon ____ b/c he just sat there, for like 10 minutes. I suspect he was waiting to see what I was going to do... For the next ten minutes I looked between my legs and I could the signal indicator light get dimmer and dimmer. There was nothing I could do...
I had a decision to make, do I flush my phone like a dead goldfish or do I attempt to recover it from it's tomb of ____.
I carefully weighed my options...
I knew the phone was fried, but I had hope that the SIM card would still function and the 2 GB MicroSD card with all of my data would be recoverable...
I did what had to be done...
I patiently waited for the squatter to leave. I wadded up some TP, trying to shield my fingers from the ____ water, but I knew it would still get on me...
I reached in the gravy bowl and rescued my smelly phone. As I pulled it away from the bowl, brown water drained from my phone and pieces of ____ were attached. I cleaned it up to the best of my ability with some extra TP, but it was too far gone...
I hadn't seen any lights flash for a few minutes, my beloved phone was dead. I washed my hands for about five minutes in scalding hot water and the all of the soap in the dispenser. I wrapped my phone in several paper towels and quickly placed it in my pocket as someone else was entering the bathroom.
When I got back to my desk, I carefully unwrapped my phone and rescued the SIM card and MicroSD card. As I did, more dirty water seeped from the phone and landed on my desk. I cleaned it up with some 409 and paper towels I keep at my desk.
Fortunately I have an OLD phone at my desk. It hasn't been used in over a year, but thankfully I was able to insert my SIM card, power it on and was able to make a call. I can't believe that the battery still has 1/2 a charge. Amazing technology... I don't have the MicroSD adaptor at work with me, so I'm not sure if I will be able to recover my data or not.

I hope you have a better day than mine.
Merry Christmas,
Greg S. Whitcomb